The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command has confirmed the rescue of six out of 10 persons abducted last week by gunmen at Pegi and Dafara community in Kuje Area Council.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Anjuguri Manzahp said in a statement in Abuja that a joint operation comprising other security agencies had been set up to ensure that all the kidnapped victims are set free.
Manzahp said the security agencies were working assiduously to rescue the victims, calling on the residents to be calm and support the ongoing operation with useful information to the police.
“The police are reassuring the public that it will not relent on its effort until the activities of these hoodlums and other crimes are permanently checked.
“Further steps are also being made to engage relevant stakeholders in various communities as part of renewed effort to check this crime,” the statement read in part.
The Chief of Pegi community, Mr Irimiah Sarki, also told newsmen on Wednesday in Kuje that the victims were freed by their abductors after families of the victims paid over N6 million ransom.
Sarki said the families of the victims paid different amounts as ransom based on negotiations with the kidnappers.