One feared killed, others injured as groups clash on Lagos Island


One person was on Sunday feared killed and others injured after hoodlums clashed on Lagos Island.

The crisis, which was said to have disrupted the annual Egungun festival, was allegedly caused by rancour within the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW).

It was gathered that warring factions of the NURTW got street gangs from Oke-Arin, Sura, Apongbon and Agarawu/Idumagbo to attack their opponents, forcing people to run for safety

It was gathered that there had been tension on Lagos Island since Friday night, with  violent attempts by the factions quelled by security operatives.

It was learnt that another violence erupted on Sunday at Apongbon, leaving a man identified as Junior dead and at least two others injured.

Not satisfied, the gangs were said to have continued the fight yesterday evening, forcing people to flee their shops and houses.

A source said the violence continued on Monday evening at Oke-Arin, forcing traders and workers to flee.

“There was crisis along Simpson, by Sura. It was between Okesuna and Patey boys. People ran in different directions.

“The Egungun festival started today, but there has been tension in the area since last weekend. This festival will last several weeks and only God knows how we will survive the violence.

“Before this Oke-Arin fight this evening (yesterday), there were attempts to attack the Agarawu/Idumagbo group early in the morning, but security operatives prevented it.

“But they continued at Apongbon and killed one Junior. They injured at least two people

“Those responsible for this fight are the Idumota and Oke-Arin boys and they are led by factional members of the NURTW,” the source added.

But the police denied that death was recorded in the attacks, insisting that they had no such record.

Spokesman Bala Elkana, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), said he was only aware of the two who sustained injuries during Sunday’s clash, adding that the victims were taken to hospital.

“The information I have is that there were issues there last weekend and two people sustained injuries. We do not have record of death and the police did not see any corpse.

“The clash is connected to the NURTW issue. The street gangs have links with the union and warring factions are using them.

“Three suspects were arrested. There is increased patrol in the area. The Rapid Response Squad (RRS), task force and other operatives have been patrolling the area.

“The area commander said there was no clash today. People might have been running as a result of panic. They had issues on Saturday and Sunday, but the area is peaceful today (Monday) because patrols have been intensified.

“The patrol is still ongoing. We are working on some names. There are names given among those that participated in the clash. Our men are working on them and picking them up.”