The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has stated that there is no going back in plans to regulate social media in the country.
Speaking with newsmen in Abuja yesterday, Lai Mohammed said the federal government have already contacted two major platforms; Facebook and Google.
Despite denying the existence of a bill for the regulation of social media in an interview with an international news platform, few weeks back, he told newsmen in Abuja that their aim is to ensure that damages are not done to the country through the social media. He said;
“We are pushing ahead with our plan to sanitize the social media, working with stakeholders. By March 2, 2020, we will inaugurate a stakeholders committee that will deliberate and recommend the way forward.
“We are also planning a major international conference that will bring together the tech companies, media practitioners, policy makers and others as part of efforts to tackle this growing canker-worm
“Last week, I met with representatives of Google and Facebook for the same purpose. The situation is dire, and no nation that values its peace, security and stability will allow an irresponsible use of the social media.
“There has been a spike in the dissemination of fake news and the use of disinformation in recent times. This is not accidental: Fake news, disinformation and hate speech have become the weapons of choice to create tension in the polity and destabilise the country.
“And those behind them, the naysayers, are not about to relent. Those behind this campaign of fake news and disinformation have also deployed new tactics, top of which is the recycling old news items and videos.
“For some people, the 2019 elections are not over. They are stuck in the pre-election mode. And they must continue to use these weapons to put Nigeria on edge.”