More details of the two new Covid-19 cases in New Zealand – the first cases there for 24 days.
The two women had travelled from the UK and were released from government quarantine and allowed to drive 650km from Auckland to Wellington on compassionate grounds.
The country’s health chief, Ashley Bloomfield, said the women had not put the public at risk, however questions will be asked about why they were not tested for Covid-19 before they set out on the trip.
After both women tested positive on Monday, one reported that in hindsight, she had been experiencing symptoms but had attributed them to a pre-existing health condition.
The New Zealand Herald reports that Bloomfield said that the women’s conditions might have been picked up if the daily health check in managed isolation had been done properly, including asking them about every individual Covid-19 symptom.
“My understanding is the person who had the symptoms was asked, ‘Are you okay?’ … The protocol is to go through each individual symptom,” he said at a press conference.
“My understanding is the person who had the symptoms was asked, ‘Are you okay?’ … The protocol is to go through each individual symptom.”
The women, aged in their 30s and 40s, arrived in New Zealand together on 7 June on a flight from the UK via Doha and Brisbane.