Maryam Sanda wails, attempts to flee after court sentenced her to death by hanging for killing her husband (Photos)


An FCT High Court in Maitama has sentenced Maryam Sanda to death by hanging for killing her husband, Bilyaminu Bello.

The court found Sanda guilty of killing her husband on Monday, January 27, 2020, and thus convicted her of the charges.

Sanda had on November 19, 2017 stabbed her husband, Bilyaminu who was son of former Peoples Democratic Party National Chairman, Dr Haliru Bello, to death following an allegation of infidelity against him after seeing a text message on his phone.

Earlier, the judge stood down the matter for five minutes following the drama that ensued after the conviction was passed. According to reports, Sanda fled the dock immediately the judge convicted her.

However, court officials and prisons officials dragged her back into the dock.

The judge was forced to rise after several women started wailing in the court room
One of them who made attempt to approach Maryam was ordered to be taken away by the judge.

Justice Yusuf Halliru rose for 5 minutes to return for sentencing. He held that there was circumstantial evidence coupled with Sanda’s testimony and statement to the police. The judge ordered that she should be remanded in Suleja prison till she exhausts her right of appeal.

He said the offence for which the convict was convicted was based on Section 221 of the Penal Code.

“It has been said that thou shall not kill. Whoever kills in cold blood shall die in cold blood,” the judge said.

“Maryam Sanda should reap what she has sown,” he said, adding, “it is blood for blood”.

Maryam kept wailing and shouting “Inna lilahi Inna roji hun”, while efforts were being made by her family and lawyer to console her.

She was heard saying, “I was fasting and praying … Ya Allah, why?” as court officials announced that the judge was about to return for sentencing.

Sanda’s mother and other sympathisers were pictured weeping as officials whisked Maryam Sanda away from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Abuja after she was sentenced to death on January 27, 2020.

See photos below…