An account operated by one Ojo temitope has been flagged by First city Monument bank and reported to the EFCC after $54,000 was deposited in it from the USA. The EFCC suspects the money to be the proceeds of cyber fraud.
In a 20-paragraph affidavit filed in support of the motion on notice, an investigative officer with the EFCC, Peter Chimdinma, said the anti-graft agency commenced action against Asej Global Services following a petition against the firm and Francis by First City Monument Bank.
The bank were the money was deposited, FCMB, according to EFCC reported the reported the firm and Francis to the EFCC following an inflow of $54,000 into the firm’s account with number, 4445389020, domiciled in FCMB.
Chimdinma said, “The petitioner, First City Monument Bank, enquired about the nature of the funds and the account holder (Francis) claimed that they were from his friend and associate, George Edwards Cook, residing in the United States and that the funds were for the purchase of properties on behalf of the said friend and business associate.
“That upon further enquiry, the suspect provided a copy of the driver’s licence of a white man, purporting that it belonged to the said friend and business associate residing in the United States and could not provide information on the nature of their business.
“That in the course of investigation, a letter of request for assistance was sent to the Federal Bureau of Investigation to assist in locating and interviewing the said business associate, Mr George Edward Cook.”
Chidinma revealed that in the course of their investigation, the agency discovered that the alleged sender had been blacklisted by the FBI as a fraudster and likely sent the money to Nigeria as a way of escaping scrutiny in the USA.
The Federal High Court in Lagos has fixed March 27, 2020 for judgment on a motion on notice filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, seeking the permanent forfeiture of the sum. On Monday, counsel for the EFCC, S.I. Suleiman, said the anti-graft agency had last year August published the interim forfeiture order in The Nation newspaper, for anyone interested to see and come to court.
Suleiman said as no one had come forward to oppose the application for the permanent forfeiture of the funds, the judge should order same forfeited to the Federal Government.