A few days ago, the sad news of Nigerians being killed in South Africa emerged on social media. It was said that businesses owned by Nigerians in South Africa were looted and burned to the ground and some people were also killed.
The series of attacks on Nigerians sparked outrage from Nigerians at home and outside the country. Many took to social media to condemn the attacks and celebrities joined in, using their big platforms for a call to action to protest against the xenophobic attacks.
Several reactions on social media platforms have followed the attacks. Legit.ng has compiled a list of some of the biggest things that happened after news of xenophobia in South Africa emerged.
1) Tiwa Savage pulls out of SA show: The Nigerian music queen reacted to the attacks by cutting all ties with South Africa. The singer also pulled out of an upcoming DSTV delicious festival that was set to be held in South Africa.
2) Nigerians drag SA rapper AKA: South African rapper AKA was dragged by Nigerians on Twitter after he described the attacks as sibling rivalry.
3) MI gets dragged on social media: MI Agba was the only Nigerian celebrity who thought AKA was making sense with his tweets about the xenophobic attacks. He noted that AKA’s statements were misinterpreted.
See his tweet below:
Also.. I can speak honestly in saying my bro @akaworldwide loves Nigeria.. taken out of context his tweets can be misinterpreted.. however he loves and respects Naija!!!
— Yung denzL (@MI_Abaga) September 3, 2019
4) Burna Boy cuts ties with SA, schools MI and AKA: The African Giant also reacted to the attacks by aiming his wrath at AKA. He threatened AKA, telling him to protect himself whenever they see and also schooled MI over his support for the South African rapper.
5) YCee disses AKA: Nigerian singer YCee condemned the attacks on Nigerians, saying that he no longer rated South African men. He stated that they are not only jealous of but resent Nigerian men, and mentioned AKA.
6) Davido lambastes federal government: Davido took his anger out on the government, saying Nigerians would not leave the country if they believed it was survivable. He also said it was time for action to be taken.
7) 2baba schools Hushpuppi: 2baba got into it with Hushpuppi after he came for celebrities that did not address the attacks. The singing legend said the flamboyant big boy has no right to attack anyone for choosing to speak up or not, as he does not know what is going on in their heads or the actions they plan to initiate.
8) Kate Henshaw gets dragged for taking on xenophobic attacks: Nigerians came down hard on Kate Henshaw after she said Nigerians are responsible for how they are treated. Many did not find her comment appealing. They noted that it was an insensitive thing to say at a point when many are hurting.
See her tweet below:
We are responsible for how people treat us…
— Kate Henshaw (@HenshawKate) September 3, 2019
9) South African owned businesses attacked by angry Nigerians: Nigerians took to known South African owned businesses to loot and destroy in retaliation to what is being done to Nigerians. However, even though the businesses are owned by South Africans, Nigerians are the ones working there, this move only hurts Nigerians more.