A 6-weeks-old baby who died in US state of Connecticut last week, is now believed to be the youngest person to die of Coronavirus in the world.
Governor Ned Lamont who made the announcement on Wednesday Aprill 1, said a test carried out on Tuesday night confirmed that the newborn had COVID-19. The baby girl was found unresponsive and taken to the hospital late last week, but could not be revived.
“It is with heartbreaking sadness today that we can confirm the first pediatric fatality in Connecticut linked to #COVID19. A 6-week-old newborn from the Hartford area was brought unresponsive to a hospital late last week and could not be revived.
“This is absolutely heartbreaking. We believe this is one of the youngest lives lost anywhere due to complications relating to COVID-19. This is a virus that attacks our most fragile without mercy.
“Your life and the lives of others could literally depend on it. Our prayers are with the family at this difficult time.”
Hartford Mayor, Luke Bronin confirmed the baby was from the community. The mayor said the disease can impact people, no matter what age.
“We have also seen that this disease can be tragically unpredictable and fatal to people of any age.”
While cases in infants are typically mild, doctors are still working to understand the virus, including how it affects children. While the symptoms of respiratory distress, a cough and fever are similar, doctors have reported COVID-19 cases where children experience stomach distress.
As of Tuesday night, the state of Connecticut had 3,128 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 69 deaths. On Wednesday afternoon, Lamont said there were another 429 infections and 16 fatalities.