She said, “I dated Paul for four years and I loved him. But the problem was that he was always beating me. He also embarrassed me in the public, so I ended the relationship.
“I got another boyfriend and moved on with my life. But Paul was angry and he attacked me. He got my new boyfriend’s number and threatened him. He also threatened me. But I didn’t take the threats seriously.
“Some days later, an unknown number called me and when I picked it, it was a woman. She said she wanted me to bake cakes for her and I should come down to Surulere. We agreed to meet at Lawanson bus stop.
“When I got to the bus stop, somebody touched my shoulder from behind. When I turned around, I saw Paul. He then poured the acid on me and ran away.”
She added that the matter was reported to the police at the Itire division, and later transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba.
The suspect was arraigned by the police at the Ebute-Meta Chief Magistrate’s Court, where he was admitted to bail. However, the case was said to have stalled.
She called for justice, saying she wanted the suspect to pay damages and bear the cost of a plastic surgery. “He has been walking free, while I have been scarred for life. I want him to pay for this. I need the help of the government and the good people of Nigeria,” she added.
The Director of the Lagos State Public Advice Centre, Mrs. Tola Akinsanya, said the agency would revive the case to ensure there was diligent prosecution of the suspect.
She said, “The woman was allegedly bathed with acid by her ex-boyfriend on June 3, 2015, and he was arrested and taken to a magistrate’s court. When the DPP’s advice was released, it ordered that the case should be transferred to the high court.
“Although we are aware the case has been filed, it has yet to be assigned to any court since last year. We are working with the Lagos State Office of the Public Defender to assemble a team of lawyers to represent her. We must ensure that she gets justice.”