For lovers of African movies, Jackie Appiah needs no introduction. Since making her debut appearance on the popular Ghanaian TV series titled ‘Things We Do for Love’ the Canadian-born Ghanaian award-winning actress has gone on to star in many Nollywood and Ghollywood movies. While capturing the hearts of movie lovers, Jackie has also made it a point to make a statement as a force to be reckoned with whenever top celebrity style is discussed.
From her hair to makeup, down to her clothes, shoes and bags, Jackie Appiah is so much of a fashion and style influencer that companies choose to feature her face instead of that of models. You can find Jackie on billboards in almost every nook and cranny in Ghana. The one thing she never leaves behind is her charming smile.
When it comes to her style, the lover of luxury bags and full hair knows her very body well and puts on only what accentuates her body best. Her style is conservative, chic and classy and she’s not one to shy away from bright and bold colours.
These are 10 things you didn’t know about her.
1. Jackie Agyemang Appiah was born 5 December 1983 in Toronto and spent her early childhood in Canada and is the last of five children.
2. She moved to Ghana with her mother at the age of 10.
3.She was the runner-up at the Talent Teens Competition. Jackie started acting at the age of 12 in her local church group.
4. In 2001 she made her first appearance onscreen when she was invited by Edward Seddoh to play the role of Enyonam Blagogee.
5. Following her onscreen debut, Jackie went on to create a successful acting career including starring in the smash hit movie “Beyoncé” alongside prominent Ghanaian actors like Van Vicker and Nadia Buari, quickly establishing herself as an A-lister.
6. She has acted in many Nollywood films such as Black Soul, and Bitter Blessing alongside with actor Ramsey Noah.
7. Jackie’s face can be seen on many billboards and TV commercials in Ghana including a GSMF advert on protection against HIV AIDS. She won the face of U.B in a promotion she did for them on TV commercials and she is currently the face of IPMC for commercials and billboards. “GSMF ” was her first TV commercial.
8. Jackie makes it possible to celebrate her birthday with the less privileged in societies instead of having a private party in the comfort of her home. Jackie spends these special days with kids at various hospitals and orphanages.
9. She got married to Peter Agyeman in 2005. The couple has a son, Damien. But they are currently divorced.
10. Jackie Appiah has won numerous awards, including a prestigious Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) for best-supporting actress in 2007. Also, In 2008 she won the Best Upcoming Actress of the year at the Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA).