EFCC Contradicts Self On Metuh’s Trial

0
325

The just concluded hearing of the EFCC’s graft case/destruction of evidence against the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh, has just revealed a series of inconsistencies. This was revealed in a cross examination by the defendant’s lead counsel Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), of the EFCC’s lead investigator, Jamil Saheed.

Mr Jamil Saheed made statements alluding to the following facts:

Investigations carried out by EFCC concerning monies paid out by the former NSA has led to two separate charges before the FCT High Court registered as FCT/HC/42/20 and FCT FCT/HC/CT/43/213.
2. Investigations carried out did not reveal security services carried out by the first defendant and there was no contract between the office of NSA and the first defendant.

3. That the transfer of N400m from the account of NSA domiciled in CBN was made on November 24, 2014 and the credit balance in the account of Destra Investment was N6,676,576:06million.

4. The sums received into the account within this period were N400m from NSA and the naira equivalent of $2m, which amounted to about N366 million between November 24 and December 28,2014.

The lead counsel to the defendant started by asking him how long he, Mr. Jamil Saheed has been a lawyer to which he responded in the negative. Excerpts of his responses below

Mr. Jamil Saheed: I am not a lawyer, I studied Geology and Mining, I have a Masters in International Affairs.

SAN Ikpeazu: Is it correct to say that Metuh voluntarily submitted himself to the Commission?

J.S: Yes.

S.I: Was he alone?

J.S: No.

S.I: You asked him questions and he responded?

J.S: Yes.

S.I: And you never touched him?

J.S: No

S.I: You did not physically open his mouth?

J.S: No

S.I: Throughout the duration of writing the statement, you did not touch him?

J.S: No

S.I: Did he eat?

J.S: He was requested to eat but he said he was not going to eat.

S.I: So he did not eat his statement?

J.S: He did not eat his statement.

This admission by Jamil Saheed drew muffled laughter from the audience.

Mr. Saheed went ahead to state that Metuh made a presentation to Former President Jonathan. “He never said the cost of the presentation was N400m. We found out the presentation had to do with the image of PDP as PDP was embarking on a national election and that Jonathan was the candidate.”

S.I: As an experienced investigator, did you unearth any personal relationship between Dasuki and Metuh?

J.S: No I did not find out any personal relationship between Metuh and Dasuki.

Mr. Jamil went on to say that the N400million was not authorized by any form of contract as it did not follow due process.

SAN Ikpeazu presented a document and asked him to read out from a particular section that stated thus, “He has duly satisfied the requirements.” The signatory to the document were read out to be S.A Sanusi and Bulus Oaye, the authorized officers who approved the payment of N400million to Chief Olisa Metuh’s firm.

SAN Ikpeazu then asked Mr. Jamil why nobody in the office of the NSA had been convicted for the disbursement of N400million to Olisa Metuh, he did not respond.

Destra, the second defendant opened an account on February 10, 2015, nine months after 400m was stated to have been transferred into a yet to be opened account. Thus, the witness is stating that money was paid into the account earlier than it was opened.

The witness also said there was no document showing the transfer of the $2m because it was disbursed in cash.

SAN Ikpeazu then stated, “Your role is to investigate allegation, you discovered Ararume worked with a financial institution, that the financial institution was managing the portfolio of NSA and Metuh, yet you failed to mention this in your statement.”

The witness was excused by the prosecution and the case adjourned till February 18th 2016.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here