Boko Haram: Security On High Alert As Insurgents Plan To Attack Bauchi

Security agencies in Bauchi state are on high alert following intelligence reports of possible attack of the Boko Haram sect in the state.

0
277

According to the reports, the terrorists are planning to strike Bauchi, having been pushed from their base in Sambisa forest by the Nigerian army.

Daily Sun reports that findings of intelligence gathering were disclosed during a two-day workshop on the Roles of Private Guards in Curbing Insurgency in Bauchi State organized by the state command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in collaboration with the state government.

The people of Bauchi state were warned that the insurgents plan to infiltrate the state using the private guards disguised as fruits sellers; therefore, the workshop is to sensitise the private guards.

In his speech, Donatus Ikemefuna, the state commandant of the NSCDC, called on Nigerians to cooperate with security agencies to fight insurgency not only in the country but globally.

“As the nation is at the verge of routing out the insurgents in the North East, no stone must be left unturned to make sure ugly developments do not resurface.

“Our resolve to work together particularly in the areas of operation and intelligence-sharing will continue to form impenetrable wall against vices.

“Nigerians must support the government at this critical period by cooperating with security agencies in maintaining law and order,” he said.

On Monday, January 19, Ali Ndume, the Senate leader and members of the Senate North-East caucus met with the service chiefs in Abuja to address the relocation of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) to their local government areas in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.

Addressing the service chiefs, Ndume stressed that the meeting was necessary following the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari to take steps to relocate IDPs to their local government areas.

The Senate leader noted that the plan to relocate the IDPs was informed by the relative peace prevailing in Borno and Adamawa states.

In his remark, the NSCDC state commandant said:

“On our part, officers and men of this corps will continue to be partner in progress with the government at all levels to ensure the citizens and residents in Nigeria as well as property are well protected.

“We are determined more than ever before to carry all the stakeholders along in this onerous task of having safer Nigeria.”

Meanwhile, the secretary to the Bauchi state government who was represented by Alhaji Hashimu Abubakar stressed that security was one of the top priorities of Governor Mohammed Abubakar and his administration.

Calling for the support of all citizens in addressing the problem of insurgency, he noted that security was a collective responsibility of every person, not only security agencies.

Abubakar added that the state government recognised the importance of private guards in assisting addressing the problem of insurgency; therefore, it would continue to cooperate with the NSCDC in order to support the private guards to be more efficient.

The Defence Headquarters had earlier warned Nigerians that Boko Haram terrorists hide explosive devices in fruits and vegetables, which they hawk in carts and wheelbarrows in markets and crowded places in the northeast.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian army has recently repelled a Boko Haram attack on the military base in Yobe state.

According to the report, the militants attacked the army base in Goniri town in Gujba local government area but were repelled by soldiers who engaged them in a gun duel.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here